Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Boston to Boothbay - Day 4

Day 4 - Boston to Boothbay

The day started pretty early for me...for some reason I woke up at 7:15 and couldn't get back to sleep. We packed up our stuff, got a taxi over to the airport to get our car, and off to Boothbay Harbor we went. It took about 3 hours to get here. Boothbay is everything, and I mean everything I had imagined. It is quinessential coastal Maine, complete with seagulls, lobster buoys on houses, light houses, and the smell of a salt air that we don't get down South. I stepped out of the car and immediately hear the sound of seagulls that I haven't heard in 16 years. It was very nostalgic.


My highlight of today was suprising Becky with our stay at the Welch House Inn. I had told her we were staying at the Boothbay Motor lodge and prepped her for staying at place that looks like a dump. When we pulled in, she was confused as to why we were stopping, but then I got out and said surprise!". Obviously she was very happy. So we check in and it turns out they did mess up our room reservation. Not the end of the world...we're just staying in a room with 2 double's instead of a king. But the view is INCREDIBLE. We are on the top of a hill that overlooks all of Boothbay Harbor. Just beautiful.


After checking in, we wandered down to the wharf area. It's your typical tourist trap I suppose, but in a quaint way. There are tons of shops with lots of crafts, arts, etc. We actually had a chance do to a couple games of Candlestick bowling. If you've never heard of it, it's like regular bowling I supposed, but you get the pins look like candlesticks, you get 3 balls per frame instead of 2, and the balls themselves are about the size of a canteloupe. So we played 2 games of that which was a lot of fun. Here's the shocker...Becky beat me. She finally has a sport where she owns me. Good job Becky!


After our adventure in candlestick bowling, we were pretty hungry and we hadn't eaten a good meal all day, so off we were to eat our first lobster ever. We stopped at Boothbay's most famous lobster joint, the Lobster Dock. We told them that we had no idea what we were doing, but they assured us we'd be fine. The lobster came out with an instructions sheet, a bib, and a lobster fork...and butter. That's all we needed! Honestly, it was quite easy to eat; and as tasty as I thought it'd be. It did taste like crab...to me anyway. Becky handled it just fine, but she said she did have a hard time eating something she knew was alive minutes ago. But she got over it. So, yes, we had our lobstah dinnah. Check that off our list.


The picture taking here is almost too easy. There's a shot everywhere you go. Look on my picture page for my favorites. Until tomorrow...

No comments: